Sunday, December 9, 2007

Expensive Shit You Can Make: The Scarf Edition

Man, am I glad I am crafty. Damn. I pity the fool who runs out to buy these.

I never would have known about these scarves if they weren't featured in Juice this week.

A fucking garter stitch scarf. For $198.

I have to say that I'm disappointed that they didn't incorporate this into a DIY feature (which they've been doing more of lately) and shown readers how simple it would be to make this themselves. This is, basically, every knitter's first project (myself included).
Even the patchwork scarf does not impress me. Seriously, go to Goodwill. Pick out 6 or 7 sweaters, cut them out, sew them together. Add fringe. There. You just saved yourself $400.

Where have I seen this before?
Anthropologie, $138.


Oh yeah.



1x1 rib, anyone?
Loro Piana Cashmere Sciarpina Scarf, $320
Yeah, it's cashmere. Big deal.

Do yourselves (and the world) a favor, people. Stop letting companies exploit 3rd world laborers and selling it to you for half of your paycheck. Yarn stores have never been so accessible! Shit, there's just about one for every suburban strip mall in America, isn't there?






2 comments:

Nic said...

If you do plan on remaking the scarves with Goodwill sweaters you better do it before coming to LV because it is nearly impossible to find wool sweaters at thrift shops here!

Heather said...

Haha, touche!! But will I even need them?